Athena's Demitasse

A demitasse is a small cup of black coffee. I only need one to fuel my thoughts, two to make me babble until the wee hours, three to make my left eye twitch and four... (You wouldn't want to know...)

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Coming Out

I was checking out details about the controversial Ang Ladlad - this party list for Bisexual, Gays, Lesbians and Transgenders (BGLT) has been on the news several weeks ago for their disqualification as a party list (due to their failure to define their presence on a national level) and then later, their Chairman was classified by the COMELEC as a nuisance Senatorial bet in the upcoming national and local election in May, and then much later, he declared his candidacy as congressman in QC's 3rd District.

Honestly, I had mixed emotions on this one. First, I was in some way glad that members of the third sex will finally have their representation over legislation. I heard PROGAY got to run for 2007 election as a party list and not Ang Ladlad. I had seen interviews of Remoto, Chairman of Ang Ladlad, on www.youtube.com - two things:

1) He seemed to have projected a 'pangmasang bading' (so much like the one who does your 'mani' and 'pedi' in the salon). GOOD: BGLT in this stratum in the Continuum of Third Sex are among the least represented in legislation. BAD: Other BGLTs might find it a bit repulsive, typecasting them as mere 'PARLORISTAs' (i.e. walang class?) - an image that they have been breaking out of. "Rosa", the gay who does my nails, 21 years old, even thinks so. He said Ang Ladlad makes 'them' look 'cheap' - that's his exact word when I asked him what he thinks about the whole issue.

2) Although Remoto said that they had a nationwide membership through affiliates, and that the COMELEC can check their members to verify; he also cautioned that some of their members cannot go public because they are 'closet gays'. Quite ironic, if you ask me. Ladlad in Tagalog means 'coming out' (of something). If they are to represent the BGLT community in congress as party list, their membership should 'come out' or kailangan magladlad to lobby for their cause. (It takes one's acceptance of who he is before he can make others accept him, di ba?)

I asked several BGLT friends about their say on Ang Ladlad, and they all expressed their disappointment on its failure to give them the representation that they want, away from the typical "tomboys and badings".

Ang Ladlad, maybe not on this election.


***


A friend told me about this story. It seems funny, but I guess the person involved in this story - if it even happened at all - wouldn't think so.

A Lesbian was applying for a job on a company in Makati. The HR interviewing said, "It says here (on the resume) that you are a member of the third sex." (Also, the Lesbian was dressing up as such.) The Lesbian said yes.

Probably to establish further the interviewee's personality during (or mere curiousity), HR asked, "So, are you a "practicing" lesbian?" The Lesbian answered, "No. I don't practice it. I have mastered it."

The latter wasn't hired.

Moral of the story: Wrong answer for a wrong interview question.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the type of blog that I'd beg to be linked with.

Uhm, I went like, gala sa previous posts me and all, trying to find some indications, some trends, some patterns, some hints. And I was like, ugh, (*buntong hininga*) ang galing. Parang wish kong mag-ala Hannibal (Wikipedia link here) tapos lagariin ang iyong cranium at kumutsilyo ng kapiraso ng utak mo tapos i-fry sa butter.

babalik-balikan ito.

This is the blog i want.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Athena said...

Hindi ata masarap ang utak ko sa butter, siguro mas masarap ipalaman sa mainit na pandesal - mala-Reno Liver Spread.

Dalawang buwan kong sasamsamin ang papuri mula sa isang Jun Lisandro. At kahit nasa dulo ng listahan ng mga entries sa 2007 Philippine Blog Awards, sa pagmamanman ko sa ibang entries doon ikaw lang ang may "K" (as in karapatan) na masali doon at manalo base sa criteria. Ang iba: Syet. Paano sila napasok doon?

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am gay, and I was sad that Ang Ladlad didn't make it to the party-list elections.

- Rey

 
At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nyahahaha

it's a witty answer for a curios question though (altho not suitable as an interview question)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Alan Tanga said...

..they make our world kolorpul! full of kolorete..

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Athena said...

@Rey

They're still making noise for not making it, anyway. Hopefully next elections, they'd know better.

@Confession from a Cheap Motel

I heard it did happen, and the Lesbian will file charges for unfair hiring practices - something like that.

@True! They make the world full of Kolerete. Imagine, the world without gays/ lesbians: No Elton John, no Woody Allen, no Danica (who makes my hair beautiful) and no Rosa (who makes my nails clean). :-D (And no Piolo Pascual? Eeeeew.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home